Thursday, January 7, 2010

Eloping, of course.

Everybody has something happen with their wedding plans. In fact, I'm sure it's some kind of rule from on high (and I'm not religious) that something must go wrong. What's the old saying? Murphy's Law?

But our wedding plans were ridiculous. We had originally planned on marrying on Thursday 19th November, 2009, with only my immediate family and best friend. But people would be offended! Oh, and you can just imagine the chaos a Thursday wedding planned but the date was special for us. Then my parents moved out of state and while this originally wasn't thought to be an issue, eventually it and we were "forced" to re-plan everything in another state. Of course, that wasn't good enough for extended family and we just couldn't make everybody happy.

A month ago, we agreed to have a small do with just my parents and best friend, possibly my grandparents. Ironic? Well, I'm looking past that.

This blog starts three days ago, when I called my mother and explained very calmly (or not even remotely) to her that I could not possibly plan a wedding in a state where all I knew was my parents home, which I have visited four times since they moved there. She sighed and resigned to the fact that we were just going to have to have the wedding in our home state.

That evening, I told Ben, the groom, about this elopement package I had come across sometime in the last twelve months of frustration (we've been engaged since 6th December 2008), up the coast, not far from where I had previously resided. He emailed them immediately and I had a small heart attack while I wondered how I'd explain to everybody, again, that our plans had changed, but this time didn't include them.

So, this is our story of elopement, for all those brides who have ever been completely and utterly frustrated with their family and friends inability to cooperate and wanted to elope.